Friday, September 2, 2011

hello september!

Short post today because I have to go study, but...

Before:
Another thrift store find :P Boxy weirdly shaped top; really really long; and why is there a random slit in the middle??

The one redeeming factor in this dress was the fabric on the skirt portion--I loved the light, crepe-y material and the color scheme of the floral pattern. 

The first thing I addressed was sewing up the random middle slit. I wanted to make this into a lighter, more cheerful outfit, so I got rid of the top completely (the skirt was long enough to make into a new dress o_O). I also wanted to keep the style simple because the pattern was already pretty busy, so limited my sewing to just top and side seams. 

After:

Decided to cut a squarish neckline to make it a bit more flattering at the top, used the elastic that originally held the top and bottom of the 'before' dress together in the middle, and brought in the sides a bit.

It reminds me of this Forever 21 dress (in terms of style):
Ethnic print dress from Forever 21 

Did I mention I'm currently obsessed with these t-shirt style dresses? They are SO comfortable, especially when it's hot out. Now that fall is approaching, will definitely be whipping out my layers and pairing this with tights and boots :)




1 comment:

  1. Sharon, this dress is super cute!!!!

    It's hard to believe that it used to be that skirt!

    Maybe you'll be the first designer-doctor :)

    ReplyDelete