Sunday, July 10, 2011

valu-plus dress

Late last year, I had mentioned getting a bunch of stuff from a Valu-Plus store that was going out of business. Here is another piece from that haul:

Before:
no shape, super long, and side slits?! I look so thrilled haha xD

To justify my decision to get this dress, not only were they super cheap (literally $0.60 each), the fabric was really light and crepe-y. The material was perfect for the summer. I liked the general shift-shape of the dress, but it was way too plain...and long >__<


To modernize it~
1. I cut off the bottom part of the dress (about a foot of fabric) and used the scraps to wrap the straps and create a more fitted look.

2. I also used leftover fabric for a ruffle bib + skirt covering on the bottom half of the dress to 1) minimize the transparency of the material and 2) give the dress some much needed shape.

After:
yay ruffles!

Close up of the ruffling and straps:


And voila! New summer dress :D I'm pretty happy with how this came out, but there was definitely a lot of guess work involved. Hopefully with more practice, I'll actually know what I'm doing next time xD

3 comments:

  1. You did such a great job!! I really like the added form and shape to the dress~ very summer result :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. super like! fancy schmancy :D

    ReplyDelete